Not able to use cdrom-drives

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Not able to use cdrom-drives

Christian Lachner
hi all
i have problems configuring my cdrom-devices with winecfg. when i try
to add it as d: with the mountpoint /media/cdrom0 and select to be a
cdrom-device, click apply and restart winecfg it is shown as a
disk-device. i also tried with different mountpoints and also the
device /dev/hdd itselfs but it always ends in the same problem. Also
the autoconfiguration thing does not work. It adds my cdrom-drive
correctly with the correct mountpoint and selected it to be a
cdrom-device but after restart of winecfg or running any other program
that uses cdrom-drives the don't show up. did someone also have that
problem, i don't get it done alone...

_______________________________________________
wine-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.winehq.org/mailman/listinfo/wine-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Not able to use cdrom-drives

Duane Clark
Gladiac Spark wrote:

> hi all
> i have problems configuring my cdrom-devices with winecfg. when i try
> to add it as d: with the mountpoint /media/cdrom0 and select to be a
> cdrom-device, click apply and restart winecfg it is shown as a
> disk-device. i also tried with different mountpoints and also the
> device /dev/hdd itselfs but it always ends in the same problem. Also
> the autoconfiguration thing does not work. It adds my cdrom-drive
> correctly with the correct mountpoint and selected it to be a
> cdrom-device but after restart of winecfg or running any other program
> that uses cdrom-drives the don't show up. did someone also have that
> problem, i don't get it done alone...

winecfg does not appear to correctly create the needed symbolic links. A
cdrom drive should have two links, something like:

d: -> /media/cdrom0
d:: -> /dev/cdrom0

Have you tried that combination?


_______________________________________________
wine-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.winehq.org/mailman/listinfo/wine-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Not able to use cdrom-drives

Christian Lachner
hmmm, it does not work for me... here's my current config

gladiac@blackshark:~/.wine/dosdevices$ ll
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 10 2005-10-09 20:19 c: -> ../drive_c
lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 13 2005-10-09 20:33 d: -> /home/gladiac
lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 11 2005-10-09 20:33 e: -> /win/system
lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 14 2005-10-09 20:33 f: -> /win/storage_1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 14 2005-10-09 20:33 g: -> /win/storage_2
lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 10 2005-10-09 20:33 h: -> /win/media
lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 13 2005-10-09 20:33 i: -> /media/cdrom0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac  8 2005-10-09 20:39 i:: -> /dev/hdd
lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 13 2005-10-09 20:33 j: -> /media/cdrom1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac  8 2005-10-09 20:39 j:: -> /dev/hdc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 14 2005-10-09 20:33 k: -> /media/floppy0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 15 2005-10-09 20:33 l: -> /media/usbstick
lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac  1 2005-10-09 20:19 z: -> /

Am I wrong setting i:: to hdd and j:: to hdc 'cause i don't have
something like /dev/cdrom0?
any ideas?

On 10/8/05, Christian Lachner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> uh, didn't know to do it that way. thanx for the help :D
>
> On 10/8/05, Duane Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Gladiac Spark wrote:
> > > hi all
> > > i have problems configuring my cdrom-devices with winecfg. when i try
> > > to add it as d: with the mountpoint /media/cdrom0 and select to be a
> > > cdrom-device, click apply and restart winecfg it is shown as a
> > > disk-device. i also tried with different mountpoints and also the
> > > device /dev/hdd itselfs but it always ends in the same problem. Also
> > > the autoconfiguration thing does not work. It adds my cdrom-drive
> > > correctly with the correct mountpoint and selected it to be a
> > > cdrom-device but after restart of winecfg or running any other program
> > > that uses cdrom-drives the don't show up. did someone also have that
> > > problem, i don't get it done alone...
> >
> > winecfg does not appear to correctly create the needed symbolic links. A
> > cdrom drive should have two links, something like:
> >
> > d: -> /media/cdrom0
> > d:: -> /dev/cdrom0
> >
> > Have you tried that combination?
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > wine-users mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://www.winehq.org/mailman/listinfo/wine-users
> >
>

_______________________________________________
wine-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.winehq.org/mailman/listinfo/wine-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Not able to use cdrom-drives

Duane Clark
Christian Lachner wrote:

> hmmm, it does not work for me... here's my current config
>
> gladiac@blackshark:~/.wine/dosdevices$ ll
> total 0
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 10 2005-10-09 20:19 c: -> ../drive_c
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 13 2005-10-09 20:33 d: -> /home/gladiac
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 11 2005-10-09 20:33 e: -> /win/system
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 14 2005-10-09 20:33 f: -> /win/storage_1
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 14 2005-10-09 20:33 g: -> /win/storage_2
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 10 2005-10-09 20:33 h: -> /win/media
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 13 2005-10-09 20:33 i: -> /media/cdrom0
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac  8 2005-10-09 20:39 i:: -> /dev/hdd
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 13 2005-10-09 20:33 j: -> /media/cdrom1
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac  8 2005-10-09 20:39 j:: -> /dev/hdc
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 14 2005-10-09 20:33 k: -> /media/floppy0
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 15 2005-10-09 20:33 l: -> /media/usbstick
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac  1 2005-10-09 20:19 z: -> /
>
> Am I wrong setting i:: to hdd and j:: to hdc 'cause i don't have
> something like /dev/cdrom0?
> any ideas?
>

I believe that Wine expects the SCSI version of the device file. This
assumes you are running the ide-scsi device driver, which I think all
reasonably current versions of Linux do. Presumably, there will be a
device file /dev/scd0 that corresponds to /dev/hdc, and /dev/scd1 that
corresponds to /dev/hdd. On my system, /dev/cdrom is simply a link to
/dev/scd0.



_______________________________________________
wine-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.winehq.org/mailman/listinfo/wine-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Not able to use cdrom-drives

Christian Lachner
I Don't have those device-nodes and /dev/hdd does not link to
anything. Do you really think, that wine needs this scsi-ide driver?
However, this seems to be a big bug in winecfg that should be fixes
until 0.9.

On 10/9/05, Duane Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Christian Lachner wrote:
> > hmmm, it does not work for me... here's my current config
> >
> > gladiac@blackshark:~/.wine/dosdevices$ ll
> > total 0
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 10 2005-10-09 20:19 c: -> ../drive_c
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 13 2005-10-09 20:33 d: -> /home/gladiac
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 11 2005-10-09 20:33 e: -> /win/system
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 14 2005-10-09 20:33 f: -> /win/storage_1
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 14 2005-10-09 20:33 g: -> /win/storage_2
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 10 2005-10-09 20:33 h: -> /win/media
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 13 2005-10-09 20:33 i: -> /media/cdrom0
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac  8 2005-10-09 20:39 i:: -> /dev/hdd
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 13 2005-10-09 20:33 j: -> /media/cdrom1
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac  8 2005-10-09 20:39 j:: -> /dev/hdc
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 14 2005-10-09 20:33 k: -> /media/floppy0
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac 15 2005-10-09 20:33 l: -> /media/usbstick
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 gladiac gladiac  1 2005-10-09 20:19 z: -> /
> >
> > Am I wrong setting i:: to hdd and j:: to hdc 'cause i don't have
> > something like /dev/cdrom0?
> > any ideas?
> >
>
> I believe that Wine expects the SCSI version of the device file. This
> assumes you are running the ide-scsi device driver, which I think all
> reasonably current versions of Linux do. Presumably, there will be a
> device file /dev/scd0 that corresponds to /dev/hdc, and /dev/scd1 that
> corresponds to /dev/hdd. On my system, /dev/cdrom is simply a link to
> /dev/scd0.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> wine-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.winehq.org/mailman/listinfo/wine-users
>

_______________________________________________
wine-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.winehq.org/mailman/listinfo/wine-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Not able to use cdrom-drives

Duane Clark
Christian Lachner wrote:
> I Don't have those device-nodes and /dev/hdd does not link to
> anything. Do you really think, that wine needs this scsi-ide driver?
> However, this seems to be a big bug in winecfg that should be fixes
> until 0.9.
>

Do you burn CDs/DVDs, listen to audio CDs, watch DVDs? I think most of
those applications require the ide-scsi driver, so you might be able to
tell by looking at the configuration of one of them. You can always, as
root, do "lsmod" and look for the ide-scsi driver. Perhaps mention here
what Linux you are running. Someone else might be able to help (I am
only familiar with RH).

Yes, I agree that it is a bug in winecfg.




_______________________________________________
wine-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.winehq.org/mailman/listinfo/wine-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Not able to use cdrom-drives

Duane Clark
In reply to this post by Christian Lachner
Christian Lachner wrote:
> I Don't have those device-nodes and /dev/hdd does not link to
> anything. Do you really think, that wine needs this scsi-ide driver?
> However, this seems to be a big bug in winecfg that should be fixes
> until 0.9.
>

By the way, when you mount a cdrom, what device file is being used? That
is, when the CDROM is mounted, what does the command "df" show for the
cdrom drive?

The /dev/hd* entries are not symbolic links. That is normal.


_______________________________________________
wine-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.winehq.org/mailman/listinfo/wine-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Not able to use cdrom-drives

Aneurin Price-2
In reply to this post by Christian Lachner
Gladiac Spark wrote:

> hi all
> i have problems configuring my cdrom-devices with winecfg. when i try
> to add it as d: with the mountpoint /media/cdrom0 and select to be a
> cdrom-device, click apply and restart winecfg it is shown as a
> disk-device. i also tried with different mountpoints and also the
> device /dev/hdd itselfs but it always ends in the same problem. Also
> the autoconfiguration thing does not work. It adds my cdrom-drive
> correctly with the correct mountpoint and selected it to be a
> cdrom-device but after restart of winecfg or running any other program
> that uses cdrom-drives the don't show up. did someone also have that
> problem, i don't get it done alone...

What version of Wine are you using? The registry branch that stores
whether a drive is an hd or a cdrom was marked as volatile a while back,
so it was never saved between invocations of Wine. This caused the
setting to be lost as soon as winecfg was closed. Try it with a current
version of Wine, and quite possibly a fresh configuration (ie. a new
.wine directory).
Failing that, post what you have in your registry under
HKLM/Software/Wine/drives (I have a key with name "D:", type "REG_SZ",
and data "cdrom").
Hope that helps,
Aneurin Price

_______________________________________________
wine-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.winehq.org/mailman/listinfo/wine-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Not able to use cdrom-drives

Christian Lachner
OK, this is the great deal! A newly generated .wine-config registry
does not have a HKLM/Software/Wine and so there is also not a
HKLM/Software/Wine/drives where the cdrom-drive informations could be
stored. After adding these and doing, what Aneurin already told us, it
works marvellous. Thanks for the great help, this is the great deal i
was searching for ;). We should post a bug-report... those
registry-keys must not be missing...

thank you all.

On 10/11/05, Aneurin Price <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gladiac Spark wrote:
> > hi all
> > i have problems configuring my cdrom-devices with winecfg. when i try
> > to add it as d: with the mountpoint /media/cdrom0 and select to be a
> > cdrom-device, click apply and restart winecfg it is shown as a
> > disk-device. i also tried with different mountpoints and also the
> > device /dev/hdd itselfs but it always ends in the same problem. Also
> > the autoconfiguration thing does not work. It adds my cdrom-drive
> > correctly with the correct mountpoint and selected it to be a
> > cdrom-device but after restart of winecfg or running any other program
> > that uses cdrom-drives the don't show up. did someone also have that
> > problem, i don't get it done alone...
>
> What version of Wine are you using? The registry branch that stores
> whether a drive is an hd or a cdrom was marked as volatile a while back,
> so it was never saved between invocations of Wine. This caused the
> setting to be lost as soon as winecfg was closed. Try it with a current
> version of Wine, and quite possibly a fresh configuration (ie. a new
> .wine directory).
> Failing that, post what you have in your registry under
> HKLM/Software/Wine/drives (I have a key with name "D:", type "REG_SZ",
> and data "cdrom").
> Hope that helps,
> Aneurin Price
>

_______________________________________________
wine-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.winehq.org/mailman/listinfo/wine-users