[WINEDOC] IDA workarounds

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[WINEDOC] IDA workarounds

Molle Bestefich
James Hawkins suggested using native comctl32 as a workaround to get
IDA running.
Here's a patch to mention that in the docs.

Changelog:

[[[
* winedev-debugger.sgml:
 - List IDA versions,
   including which versions work and which doesn't, and
   the workarounds required to make some work.
 - Move 'useful programs' to it's own section2.
 - Add a couple of <xref>s instead of naming sections.
]]]



debugger_doc_ida_patch_2.diff (16K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WINEDOC] IDA workarounds

Molle Bestefich
Small follow-up patch to mention IDA 3.7 and 'wineconsole' instead of
'winedbg' (duh).

Changelog:
[[[
* winedev-debugger.sgml:
 - Use wineconsole for running console apps, not winedbg...
 - Mention IDA 3.7.
]]]



debugger_doc_ida_patch_3.diff (1K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WINEDOC] IDA workarounds

James Hawkins
In reply to this post by Molle Bestefich
On 10/8/05, Molle Bestefich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> James Hawkins suggested using native comctl32 as a workaround to get
> IDA running.
> Here's a patch to mention that in the docs.
>

Using native comctl32 is just a workaround until the bug is fixed.
The proper solution is to get this particular bug fixed one way or
another.  Frank Richter proposed a patch, but it hasn't been
committed.  We shouldn't document using native dlls though.

--
James Hawkins


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WINEDOC] IDA workarounds

Dimi Paun
In reply to this post by Molle Bestefich
On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 18:19 +0000, Molle Bestefich wrote:
> James Hawkins suggested using native comctl32 as a workaround to get
> IDA running.

I don't want this sort of thing in the docs: it's too transient,
and I hope we'll fix it rather then document it. If you want to
capture this sort of information somewhere, the AppDB would be
the place.

--
Dimi Paun <[hidden email]>
Lattica, Inc.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WINEDOC] IDA workarounds

Molle Bestefich
Dimi Paun wrote:
> Molle Bestefich wrote:
> > James Hawkins suggested using native comctl32 as a workaround to get
> > IDA running.
>
> I don't want this sort of thing in the docs: it's too transient,
> and I hope we'll fix it rather then document it. If you want to
> capture this sort of information somewhere, the AppDB would be
> the place.

That particular comment takes up ~10 words in the text and will save
everyone that's getting started with Wine debugging hours of their
precious time.  It might even cause some people to stick with Wine
because they have a good, working disassembler, instead of giving up
on that account.  Not mentioning it and wasting their time just
because of a puritanical POV on what "belongs in the docs" is rude to
them, IMHO.

I'll be happy to do yet another documentation update when Wine reaches
a state where it works out of the box.

Alternatively, I could put everything regarding IDA into the AppDB as
you suggest and then send a new patch which links to it from the docs?


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WINEDOC] IDA workarounds

Jonathan Ernst
Le lundi 10 octobre 2005 à 07:16 +0000, Molle Bestefich a écrit :

> Dimi Paun wrote:
> > Molle Bestefich wrote:
> > > James Hawkins suggested using native comctl32 as a workaround to get
> > > IDA running.
> >
> > I don't want this sort of thing in the docs: it's too transient,
> > and I hope we'll fix it rather then document it. If you want to
> > capture this sort of information somewhere, the AppDB would be
> > the place.
>
> That particular comment takes up ~10 words in the text and will save
> everyone that's getting started with Wine debugging hours of their
> precious time.  It might even cause some people to stick with Wine
> because they have a good, working disassembler, instead of giving up
> on that account.  Not mentioning it and wasting their time just
> because of a puritanical POV on what "belongs in the docs" is rude to
> them, IMHO.
>
> I'll be happy to do yet another documentation update when Wine reaches
> a state where it works out of the box.
>
> Alternatively, I could put everything regarding IDA into the AppDB as
> you suggest and then send a new patch which links to it from the docs?
That would be much better imo.
--
Jonathan Ernst <[hidden email]>



signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WINEDOC] IDA workarounds

Dimi Paun
In reply to this post by Molle Bestefich
On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 07:16 +0000, Molle Bestefich wrote:
> Alternatively, I could put everything regarding IDA into the AppDB as
> you suggest and then send a new patch which links to it from the docs?

Yes, that would be better. That is, you can point people to the
AppDB entry for tips on how to get IDA to run. Maybe that has a
better chance of being maintained, I know the docs won't be.

--
Dimi Paun <[hidden email]>
Lattica, Inc.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WINEDOC] IDA workarounds;Re: Help translating Japanese error message in installer

Alex Villací­s Lasso
In reply to this post by James Hawkins
James Hawkins wrote:

>On 10/8/05, Molle Bestefich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  
>
>>James Hawkins suggested using native comctl32 as a workaround to get
>>IDA running.
>>Here's a patch to mention that in the docs.
>>
>>    
>>
>
>Using native comctl32 is just a workaround until the bug is fixed.
>The proper solution is to get this particular bug fixed one way or
>another.  Frank Richter proposed a patch, but it hasn't been
>committed.  We shouldn't document using native dlls though.
>
>--
>James Hawkins
>
Could you please point me to the URL of the patch that is supposed to
fix the IDA installer and has not been committed? I would like to try it
with the Japanese RPG installer I asked about earlier. I tried googling
for the patch, but there are so many uncommited patches by Frank Richter
that I don't know which one(s) to pick, and since the error happens on
what looks like a standard edit box, I don't know which file is supposed
to be modified.

Alex Villacís Lasso



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WINEDOC] IDA workarounds; Re: Help translating Japanese error message in installer

James Hawkins
On 10/11/05, Alex Villací­s Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Could you please point me to the URL of the patch that is supposed to
> fix the IDA installer and has not been committed? I would like to try it
> with the Japanese RPG installer I asked about earlier. I tried googling
> for the patch, but there are so many uncommited patches by Frank Richter
> that I don't know which one(s) to pick, and since the error happens on
> what looks like a standard edit box, I don't know which file is supposed
> to be modified.
>

I believe it is this one:

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2005-September/020456.html

--
James Hawkins


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WINEDOC] IDA workarounds

Molle Bestefich
In reply to this post by Dimi Paun
On 10/10/05, Dimi Paun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 07:16 +0000, Molle Bestefich wrote:
> > Alternatively, I could put everything regarding IDA into the AppDB as
> > you suggest and then send a new patch which links to it from the docs?
>
> Yes, that would be better. That is, you can point people to the
> AppDB entry for tips on how to get IDA to run. Maybe that has a
> better chance of being maintained, I know the docs won't be.

Right, it does make more sense.
I've applied for super-maintainership so I can add all the existing
(available) versions to the appdb.  When that, hopefully, comes
through, I'll submit a patch which simply links there.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WINEDOC] IDA workarounds

Jonathan Ernst
Le jeudi 13 octobre 2005 à 00:58 +0000, Molle Bestefich a écrit :

> On 10/10/05, Dimi Paun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 07:16 +0000, Molle Bestefich wrote:
> > > Alternatively, I could put everything regarding IDA into the AppDB as
> > > you suggest and then send a new patch which links to it from the docs?
> >
> > Yes, that would be better. That is, you can point people to the
> > AppDB entry for tips on how to get IDA to run. Maybe that has a
> > better chance of being maintained, I know the docs won't be.
>
> Right, it does make more sense.
> I've applied for super-maintainership so I can add all the existing
> (available) versions to the appdb.  When that, hopefully, comes
> through, I'll submit a patch which simply links there.
I just made you supermaintainer for this application. Thanks for your
help maintaining the AppDB.

--
Jonathan Ernst <[hidden email]>



signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WINEDOC] IDA workarounds; Re: Help translating Japanese error message in installer

Alex Villací­s Lasso
In reply to this post by James Hawkins
James Hawkins wrote:

>On 10/11/05, Alex Villací­s Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  
>
>>Could you please point me to the URL of the patch that is supposed to
>>fix the IDA installer and has not been committed? I would like to try it
>>with the Japanese RPG installer I asked about earlier. I tried googling
>>for the patch, but there are so many uncommited patches by Frank Richter
>>that I don't know which one(s) to pick, and since the error happens on
>>what looks like a standard edit box, I don't know which file is supposed
>>to be modified.
>>
>>    
>>
>
>I believe it is this one:
>
>http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2005-September/020456.html
>
>--
>James Hawkins
>
>  
>
I have tried the patch, and it actually works! The installer works
correctly past the problematic point and installs the RPG. This patch
should be included in the CVS ASAP, because a whole class of installers
(all InnoSetup installers) can get fixed by this, as well as many Delphi
applications, and the IDA program that seems to be necessary for many
Wine developers. This is not a enhancement, it is a bugfix, and as such
it should be merged despite the code freeze.

Alex Villacís Lasso



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WINEDOC] IDA workarounds

Molle Bestefich
In reply to this post by Dimi Paun
Hope you like this one better!
All mention of wineconsole (winedbg) and DLL overrides moved to the AppDB.

Changelog:
[[[
* winedev-debugger.sgml:
 - Link to AppDB for IDA Pro.
 - Move 'useful programs' to it's own section2.
 - Add <xref>s instead of naming sections.
]]]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [WINEDOC] IDA workarounds

Molle Bestefich
> Hope you like this one better!
> All mention of wineconsole (winedbg) and DLL overrides moved to the AppDB.
>
> Changelog:
> [[[
> * winedev-debugger.sgml:
>  - Link to AppDB for IDA Pro.
>  - Move 'useful programs' to it's own section2.
>  - Add <xref>s instead of naming sections.
> ]]]

.... And here's the patch.



debugger_doc_try_2.patch (10K) Download Attachment