powermac g4

Usurp
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: powermac g4

James Mckenzie
Timhansen46 wrote:
> Download the Darwine Wine program and installed x11 on my mac.  I have   os X 10.4.11 When I try to run a windows program with Wine I get this message.
>
> Wine cannot find the FreeType font library.  To enable Wine to
> use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
> or equal to 2.0.5.

You can use either Fink or MacPorts to install Freetype.

> I tried to fix the issue by downloading freetype but I don't know how to install freetype.  I have the folder with all the files but I don't know what to do with it.  I'm new to using wine and this is all very confusing.  Can anyone please help me get this working or should I just forget about the whole thing.  Would it help if I installed ubuntu linux instead?  If I have to do install linux then i will need to know how to do that to  [Crying or Very sad] I have a cd for it but not sure what to do after I have booted from the cd.  If its possible could I just get this working in mac os.  And is this at all possible since I have the older ppc mac.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Freetype has several dependencies and the above sites address them.

James McKenzie

Re: powermac g4

Usurp
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: powermac g4

Austin English-2
On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Timhansen46 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Tried using darwinports and fink neither one made a difference.  Oh well guess this wont work.  Why would darwine make a version of their program for ppc if it doesn't work?

The old version of Darwine included qemu to emulate an x86 CPU, but
AFAIK, it never worked too well, and now is horribly outdated.

-Austin

Re: powermac g4

James Mckenzie
Austin English wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Timhansen46 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Tried using darwinports and fink neither one made a difference.  Oh well guess this wont work.  Why would darwine make a version of their program for ppc if it doesn't work?
>>

> The old version of Darwine included qemu to emulate an x86 CPU, but
> AFAIK, it never worked too well, and now is horribly outdated.

One of Mike Kronenberg's projects that he works on is the X86 emulator
for the PowerPC.  I do not know the status of this project at this time,
but he stated he was working on it for  a while.  Maybe I will look into
this as I also have a PowerMac G4.  However, that machine also has power
problems and might need a new logic board or DC to DC board, both of
which I am not looking forward to replacing.

James McKenzie

Re: powermac g4

jerbear64
If you need a Walk-Through on getting freetype installed in Darwine, Here it is:
Go to the FreeType Website and download the .bz2 of the file.
Open up a terminal after you install Darwineports, Macports, or Fink.
Type in this command (without the quotes): "sudo port install freetype"
If your machine is password-protected, you may need to type it in. It WILL NOT show in the terminal.
After the scrolling text that shows up halts, type in this command, no quotes:
"export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib"
You might be able to set the path in the folder containing the Winehelper app, as some programs will run this way. In order to, move the Darwine folder to the Applications folder and instead of /opt/local/lib, type this in: "/Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin/wine"

HTH

Re: powermac g4

Usurp
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: powermac g4

jerbear64
Yep, my first post was a helpful one. But I still have one problem. Even after I install Freetype, and after the Font Metrics are initialized, I get this error message:

Failed to open the service control manager.
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"msxml3.dll": dlopen(/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin/../lib/wine/msxml3.dll.so, 2): Library not loaded: /sw/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
  Referenced from: /Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin/../lib/wine/msxml3.dll.so
  Reason: Incompatible library version: msxml3.dll.so requi
wine: Unhandled alignment at address 0x0 (thread 0009), starting debugger...
wine: wineprefixcreate failed while creating '/Users/thomassilliman/.wine'.
wineserver: could not save registry branch to /Users/thomassilliman/.wine-CIMHhA/system.reg : No such file or directory
wineserver: could not save registry branch to /Users/thomassilliman/.wine-CIMHhA/userdef.reg : No such file or directory
wineserver: could not save registry branch to /Users/thomassilliman/.wine-CIMHhA/user.reg : No such file or directory

Re: powermac g4

James Mckenzie
jerbear64 wrote:

> Yep, my first post was a helpful one. But I still have one problem. Even
> after I install Freetype, and after the Font Metrics are initialized, I get
> this error message:
>

> Failed to open the service control manager.
> err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin
> L"msxml3.dll":
> dlopen(/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin/../lib/wine/msxml3.dll.so, 2):
> Library not loaded: /sw/lib/libiconv.2.dylib

I see you are using Fink.  Look in the directory /sw/lib to see if this
library exists.  If it does not you need to install iconv-dev (or
something like that.)

This library may have dependencies.

James McKenzie

Re: powermac g4